September 4, 2010 Chef in the Market Demonstration by:
Jenn Louis, Lincoln Restaurant
Ribbolita de Lincoln Restaurant
Ribbolita means re-boiled. Make this soup, put it in your fridge overnight, and re-warm to serve.
1 medium onion, small dice
2 large garlic cloves, minced
½ bulb fennel, small dice
2 bay leaves
2 inch piece rosemary
pinch chili flakes
8 large beefsteak tomatoes, peeled and seeded
3 medium summer squash: zucchini, crookneck or patty pan, medium dice
16 oz shell beans, canned or fresh: cannellini, borlotti, corona
½ medium green cabbage, sliced thinly
Fresh herbs: oregano, basil, parsley- roughly chopped
· Slowly sauté onion, garlic fennel, bay, rosemary and chile until vegetables are soft, but not colored
· Add summer squash and continue to cook until squash is cooked
· Add chopped tomatoes and their juices and cook over medium heat, until sauce starts to thicken
· Add beans and cabbage, cook until heated through and season to taste
· If needed, thin with vegetable or chicken stock.
· Stir in fresh herbs when serving.
Crusty bread, brushed with olive oil, generously, and toasted.
Nice olive oil for drizzling.
Pecorino or other hard grating cheese.